While silent I may have been over the past couple of months, inactive I have not. More about Basil and the Senator’s wedding, and my alleged poisoning of the guests, another time.
A sparge arm, or something to help with sparging has been on my mind for a long time. I’ve been disappointed thus far with the efficiency of my mashes, and had contemplated a rotating sparge arm with the help of Q. Anyway, I decided that without a pump to force the water out, it wasn’t worth the hassle of setting up a sparge arm that rotates, so I found more simple, rigid one to copy here.
Using some of the leftover 10mm copper coil, and borrowing Q’s 1mm drill bits (which I managed to break both of just before I’d finished!), and some 15mm copper pipe to feed the coil (which Q had left over from building his new mash tun manifold). I used a bit of wood with a grove cut in it to drill the holes in the coil (see piture 1), which happened to fit around my parents’ bread bin nicely (picture 2), before soldering the joints, and leaving the (almost) finished product (picture 3). I made a bracket out of a scrap bit of wood to hold it to the top of the mash tun. Will post picture of the whole thing after my next brew day.
More on the other Summer brew projects soon.